The Steering Committee is the elected body that provides strategic guidance to the GWOPA Secretariat and helps define direction, review progress and work plans to ensure GWOPA continues to reflect the views of its member stakeholder groups.
Membership is by organization and new members from the General Assembly 2015 include:
- Kisumu Water and Sewerage Company Limited (Public Operator - Africa)
- Federacion Nacional de Cooperativas de Servicios Sanitarios Chile Ltda - FESAN (Public Operator - Latin America)
- North Lebanon Water Establishment (Public Operator - Arab Region)
- Contra Costa Water District (Public Operator - North America)
- Integrated Social Development Center (ISODEC) (Civil Society)
- Kenya County Government Workers Union (Labour Union)
- Aigues de Barcelona (Private Sector operator)
- International Water Management Institute (Development Partner)
The majority of the Steering Committee members are public operators and/or their associations from all regions of the world however seats are also allocated to other stakeholder groups including Development Partners, Civil Society Organizations, Labour Unions and Private Operators/Associations.
In addition to guiding the work of the Alliance, Steering Committee members furthermore act as focal points and advocates for GWOPA within their respective regions and communities of practice. Membership of the Steering Committee entails a four year mandate and attendance at the annual Committee meeting.