- 09 Dec
- Category: 2nd Global WOPs Congress and General Assembly 2013
3 DAYS, 275 PARTICIPANTS, 80 COUNTRIES, 9 THEMATIC DISCSSIONS, 10+ NEW PARTNERSHIPS LAUNCHED, 50 INTERVIEWS AND 11 NEW STEERING COMMITTEE MEMBERS
2nd Global WOPs Congress and GWOPA General Assembly was successfully wrapped up on the 29th of November in Barcelona after 3 days of intense discussions and exchange. We would like to thank all of our partners and participants for contributing their work, ideas and energy to this event.
9 new WOPs to be funded by OPEC Fund for International Development (OFID) and 1 WOP between between Eau de Paris, Ville de Paris, Agence Française de Développement (AFD), Office National de l'Electricité et de l'Eau Potable (ONEE, Morocco), WSSA (Bethlehem) and GWOPA were signed during the Congress. In addition to the formal signings, a number of new partnerships were brought to life during the Congress.
At the WaterCube set up for the Congress, 50 video interviews, including more than 40 with WOPs practioners, were uploaded on site, thanks to collaboration with Akvo.
At the General Assembly, eleven new members of the GWOPA Steering Committee were elected in the various membership categories set up in the GWOPA charter, replacing the outgoing members. The GWOPA Secretariat would like to convey its warm appreciation to the outgoing steering committe member organizations who contributed substantially during GWOPA's first 4-year term:
<Representatives of water and sanitation uitilities>
- African Water Association (AfWA)
- Arab Countries Water Utilities' Association (ACWUA)
- Water & Sanitation Agency, Rawalpindi
- Aguas Bonaerenses Operator (5 de Septiembre S.A.)
- Inter-institutional professional network of water sector in Serbia (IPN)*
- World Waternet (Europe)
- Reclaiming Public Water Network (RPWN)
- ABVAKABO FNV*
* Resigned after the completion of 2 years.
- Asian Development Bank (ADB)
- Inter-American Development Bank (IDB)
- International Water Association (IWA)
And we would like to welcome:
- Rand Water, South Africa - representing Africa
- Office National de l'Electricité et de l'Eau Potable, Morocco - representing Arab region
- PERPAMSI (Indonesia Water Supply Association), Indonesia - representing Asia
- SABESP (Sao Paulo Water and Sanitation Company), Brazil - representing Latin America
- EYDAP S.A. (the Athens Water Supply and Sewerage Company), Greece - representing Southeast Europe
- Aqua Publica Europa - representing the North
- Aquanet BV, The netherlands - representing the North
- Ingenieria Sin Fronteras - representing CSOs
- CONTAGWAS (Consideraciones generales sobre legislación sanitaria) - representing Union
- UNESCO-IHE - representing Alliance partners
- WOP-LAC - as a regional platform for Latin America
Presentation files are available from here. A final report of the Congress and General Assembly will be available in January 2014.
Please do not miss the slide show prepared by UN-Habitat advocacy team and presented at the Closing of the Congress on the 28th of November!
Press release by UN-Habitat about the opening of the Congress.