- Category: Regional and National WOPs Platforms
During the UNSGAB meeting in Sofia, Bulgaria in 2009, South East European water ministers expressed their support for WOPs and the establishment of a regional platform to enable them. Demand for WOPs has since been echoed at regional meetings of water utilities and their associations. A WOP-SEE platform was, in response, established as a network of partners working to facilitate WOPs in the region. Its overall goal is to provide better and equitable water and sanitation services to all in the region.
The Platform is supporting WOPs amongst South East European utilities by:
- encouraging performance measurement and transparency, stimulate healthy competition and facilitate WOPs by helping operators identify appropriate partners
- assisting operators in brokering, planning, financing, implementing and monitoring WOPs
- developing and availing information, tools, and guidelines to those wishing to engage in WOPs
- supporting utility-led training activities to develop the skills of water operators by helping them share their know-how and anchor it within other utilities
- sharing experience range of communication activities including websites, newsletters, and conference participation
- connecting WOPs practitioners in SEE with the global WOPs community mobilizing resources for the implementation of WOPs in the region
The activities at the WOP-SEE platform are planned, coordinated and monitored by a Secretariat and supervised and guided by a Steering Committee, comprising national associations, water and wastewater operators and other stakeholders. A 3-year business plan and resource mobilization strategy for the platform is currently in preparation.